1.13.2008

life of the party and she swears that she's artsy

Today I made a perfect brioche! I realize that I am overly excited about a loaf of bread, but it's absolutely perfect. When I lived in Seattle there was this great little French bakery about 3 blocks from my apartment that Darrin and I used to go to all the time, they had the most amazing chocolate almond brioche. Today I attempted only the basic brioche, and I had my doubts along the way, but it came out so beautifully! The crust is hard and sweet and golden-brown and the inside is light and springy and only slightly sweet. I think that only Darrin will get as excited as I am, but that's why he's my soul mate.

I shot a couple rolls of Char today. I'm excited to get them back. They're really great photos, very pretty of her (not that she could be anything else) and very artistic. I'm trying to get some sort of portfolio together so maybe I can book a couple jobs. And anyway, I love photography.

I've been listening to a lot of John Mayer's not so popular stuff lately. I think that anyone who wrote him off after hearing "Your Body is a Wonderland" should listen to Comfortable, Lenny/Man on the Side and all JMtrio songs. I've also been listening to Brandon Heath a lot. Despite the complete sham that Young Life is, Brandon Heath was one good thing to come out of it all. Early Stuff is a really great album.

I watched Waitress this weekend, it is one of the best movies I've seen in forever. It is completely quirky and funny and sad and hopeful and witty in all of the right places and ways. It is so tragic that Adrienne Shelly died, and especially in such a horrendous way. The movie is lovely though. I wish I was making movies right now.

Amor,
K

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you don't know me, but as someone who works with Young Life I just want to know why you think it's a sham?

Katie said...

Young Life is to Christianity what Golf is to Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden; an organization that was started as one thing and that has now evolved into a social activity far removed from what it was first created to be. And if that was acknowledged I would be fine with it. But the whole sham comes in when you go to a YL meeting on Wednesday and hear some jock talk about how his life has changed and he used to drink when he was a Sophomore but not anymore and everything is different and blah blah blah, then you go to a party on Friday and the same guy is drunk and hitting on you and groping you. I have no problem with Christians drinking, obviously because I do, but don't stand there and preach about how you don't do all of this stuff when it's just a blatant lie. And this is not an isolated incident. In my times with Young Life in Kitsap County I've met a few people are truly "Godly" (for lack of a better term" people, but for the most part it's just a social networking thing.