11.24.2008

walking the line between myspace pic and art

I've decided to start putting art up here- photos, scans of paintings and sketches, whatever.

I've been doing a lot of self-portraits lately, less for vanity and more because there are never any willing models around when I start feeling creative. I wish this was done with my manual Minolta and that I had printed it myself, but it was taken with my Casio Exilim which is a satisfactory substitute for a bit of cathartic self expression because it's 10.1 mega pixels. The only things I altered are the contrast and color, things I would have changed in a darkroom anyway. The graininess is due to forgoing a flash and only having one lamp on in my bedroom. Click for full size.

My philosophy on my art is that I do it for myself. I take joy in creating it and in looking at it. I am well aware of my talent level and don't expect or even desire to make a living off of whatever medium I'm currently playing around with. I took a couple years of photography in high school and while I was thankful for the technical skills I learned I hated the part where my creativity, my art was judged. I also hate trying to force inspiration. But I love taking portraits of people. And I love enjoying other people's art. My favorite photographers right now?

Terry Richardson:
My Dad:


This picture is of my beautiful Momma, circa 1980. Look for more pictures by my dad here. I've been discovering old albums and let me tell you, my dad is extremely talented. Here's to art, on any level!

2 comments:

Little Ms. Perfect said...

such a sweet picture! and ur mom is gorgeous!

Katie said...

Thank you! I just got back from seeing Australia, it was incredible.